Monday, February 17, 2014

Week 2: Delay

Hello everybody! I hope all is well for all of the seniors for the first two weeks of SRP. I've yet to read greatly into some of your blogs, but I'll definitely reserve time for reading and commenting on the material; there's a great deal of interesting topics some people are investigating.

An unfortunate turn of events prevented my internship from starting this week. Dr. Rieke turned out to be sick, so the first internship day was postponed to next Tuesday. While the news is a bit disappointing, I have plenty of things to keep myself busy with for week 2. I still have plenty of text to read, which will take up the majority of my time for the first 4 weeks. Besides that, I am quickly learning that focusing on key terms and processes such as photometry and spectroscopy is a significantly better use of my time. I expect the text I've addressed in my syllabus to play a minimum role in the final products of my research project, as opposed to the sources I pick up along the way in my research.

Next week will be reserved for starting my internship at Steward and adjusting to those conditions. I plan to visit Steward 2-3 days a week and allocate approximately 15 hours a week for researching and developing the software. I will also go into greater detail about the two methods we will be using in the software to determine star age: photometry and spectroscopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment